Thursday, May 28, 2009

Prayers Requested

In general, I don't like to talk about serious stuff on my blog, but someone very important in my life is going through a tough time right now. My aunt Penny has been diagnosed with lung cancer- it is very advanced. She is starting chemotherapy tomorrow and we should know more once we see how she responds to the treatment.

My aunt and I have always had a special relationship. When my Grandma died in 2003 we became even closer, I think she understood what I would be missing without her and filled that void for me. That's what is crazy about her, everything she does in her life is purely for others. Someone like her is the last person to "deserve" what she is going through. When we found out the results of her tests on May 11th, I was devestated. I rummaged through a keepsake box and dug out an old note I had kept from her, it was written weeks before I graduated college and was 2 pages handwritten basically expressing her love for me and why she thinks I will be successful, etc. The note is so special to me, Penny ALWAYS has had the ability to make me feel good about myself, which is probably why I first cried just thinking about how much she means to me. Then I thought about my Mom who has an amazing relationship with her sisters, especially Penny and who has been through so much in her life- I cried a little harder. Then I thought of my cousins, one of whom packed up his things and moved from Orlando home- Penny would do anything for them, she's their rock.- and the tears continued. But in the end my sobs were soley for her, I knew how scared she must be and I knew I would do everything in my power to help her.

I'm crying as I write this, but I need to get this out here because we need some prayers and I would appreciate it if you could keep Penny in yours.

Please visit her Caringbridge site here. Sign her guestbook, she loves notes of encouragement- even if she doesn't know you, just say I sent you :) You can also sign up to have journal updates sent to you.

Thanks friends!

Love, S

3 comments:

Annie said...

sheen - - i've been prayin since my mom told me. she loves loves loves your aunt penny - - just what you said - she gives and gives.

i'll be thinking of you and your family as you go through this and please let us know if you need ANYTHING. please tell your mom too - - you KNOW mary wright is willing to help you out if you need anything!

Annie Miller said...

I know how hard it can be to have a family member be diagnosed with something terrible... I'll keep your family in my prayers :)

Jamie said...

I will be praying for you and your family Sheena... the Lord can work miracles! Keep the faith! :)